Wednesday, October 17, 2012

Spanish Orange Chicken

If you read this blog, you know I like to cook food that is so easy it can't be called cooking... but comes out like you fussed with it all day. Here is another favorite from our home!

I found this recipe a couple years ago. I have since made quite a few adjustments. The original recipe gets credited to Nigella Lawson; however, whoever I first stole this recipe from had already made her own changes to this recipe. Firstly, I use smoked sausage instead of chorizo - secondly, I use the juice of the orange which most bloggers who steal this recipe say not to do - and thirdly, I use a casserole dish instead of a roasting pan. My suggestion - try this recipe and adjust it for yourself. It will be good.

(ALSO: I cook for two, and we have enough leftovers for one of us to have this again for lunch. The original recipe makes much more.)

Spanish Orange Chicken
  • 4 Chicken Thighs - bone in, skin on
  • 1 Smoked Sausage, chopped into chunks
  • 1 Red Onion, chopped
  • 8 Baby Red Potatoes, halved or quartered
  • 1 TBSP Oregano
  • 1 TBSP Olive Oil
  • 1 Orange
  • Salt & Pepper, to taste
Pre-heat your oven to 425 degrees. Spray your casserole dish with cooking spray. Pour the olive oil in the bottom of the dish. Rub the skin of the chicken in the oil, then turn skin-side up. Add your potatoes and sausage. Cover the whole dish with onion and oregano - then grate the orange zest over everything. I also top with some salt and cracked pepper. This is where I squeeze the juices of half the orange over the dish, and most people say not to - up to you!

Cook for 30 minutes and then pull it out to baste all the contents with the juices from the bottom of the pan. Cook for another 30 minutes. Eat this yummy, yummy dinner.
 


 

3 comments:

  1. umm amazing. although could you use chicken breast instead? i don't know if you know this or not but i have issues with the whole bone thing...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would think so! I would feel sorry for you not getting to munch on the crispy, crispy skin - but, I think it would still be yummo! (john says forget the chicken all together - he just wants the sausage and potatoes!)

      Delete