Monday, January 17, 2011

weight and balance

My mom and I flew "stand-by" to Salt Lake City for my second cousin's wedding this weekend. This is a cheaper way to fly; however, it means you only get on the flight if there are open seats. We left my parent's house at 4 am on Thursday morning... and luckily were given seats on a flight to Dallas very early. Once we got to Dallas, my dad realized the flights were very full all day to Salt Lake -- it looked like one, if either of us, was going to make it. After all of the planning and little sleep, this was a sad moment. I wasn't prepared when they told us we were the last two on the list and only one of us could board the plane. I sent my mom down the jetway and instantly started tearing up... meanwhile, the lady at the desk seemed pleased with her power. She followed my mom and shut the door.

While I was taking in what just had happened... a man appeared at the deak and asked if I really wanted on the flight and I said "Yes!" So, he said "Okay girl, run! You are in seat 27E!" So, down the jetway I ran... full of joy that we were both going to make it! My mom was very excited to see me on the plane and I was happily taking my middle seat at the back of the plane when a voice over the intercom says, "Passenger in 27E, grab your bags and report to the front of the plane." Over and OVER and OVER they said it until I made it to the front. Stink-face, power-lover lady was staring me down and asks me who let me on and tells me to leave the plane because there is no more room. I tell her I was given a seat, and that I was JUST IN IT... that there was IN FACT room on the plane, and drum roll... she says, "Ma'am, this is a weight issue." (*yes, you read that right* - a WEIGHT issue.) I immediately look down at myself, stunned that I could really be the difference between making it to SLC and not making it... and then the tears start again. I was mortified that I was crying infront of this crazy woman again, but I had had NO SLEEP and really wanted my vacation.

Right then, a nice stewardess got the pilot's attention and told him what was going on. He tried to get the woman to let me stay, but she kept saying sciene was science, that weight and balance was regulated, and the plane was too full. Finally, she told me to "get moving." So, down the jetway I go again... (now crying in an even more ridiculous and embarassing manner).

As I am rounding the corner, the pilot yells down for me to come back He told me to stay put and wait while he made a call. After his call, I got the a-okay to take my seat! Then, he winked, and told me, "Don't tell the other passengers, but the flight will be a little longer today so we burn less fuel."

Typing the story up now, it sounds kinda silly.... but, this was much more dramatic in person. And, believe me, if you heard it in person, I could make you pee laughing.

As we took off, he announced that due to "current conditions" the flight would be 15 minutes longer. And as we lifted into the sky, I held my breath and sucked in my tummy, knowing whose fault it would be if something went wrong.

2 comments:

  1. Wow! Just goes to show you how nice some people can be, and how mean some others can be. Maybe she was new, and just trying to do the job? You know how new people can be, by the book...

    ReplyDelete
  2. OMGOSH!!! How horrific...and yet kind of hilarious. What a great pilot~ what company was it with? Glad to hear you got your vacation with your momma:)

    ReplyDelete