Monday, August 19, 2013

Dark Places

Dark Places by Gillian Flynn

I finally read this book! This was on our book club list in 2009. I have no idea why I didn't read it then, because I loved her first book, Sharp Objects. After reading Gone Girl this spring (and having mixed feelings), I knew I needed to finally read this book.

I think this is my favorite of all three! Flynn does not write characters with redeeming qualities. This is something I knew going into Gone Girl and Dark Places, but I think Libby has been my favorite protagonist yet. In the afterword of her book, Flynn thanks her husband for sleeping next to her with the lights off each night... and she should because - damn - she thinks up some crazy, morbid storylines.

In this book, main character Libby is living in Kansas City (!), with a horrifying childhood holding her back from happiness, health, stability, or anything that resembles normal - which she never knew even before her whole family was murdered in “The Satan Sacrifice of Kinnakee, Kansas.”

Her testimony put her brother in prison when she was seven; but, a group of people obsessed with the murders confront her with new evidence and offer her money to find the truth... Don't read this in the dark!

No comments:

Post a Comment