Tuesday, May 13, 2014

strangers and pregnancy

People say weird things to pregnant women. I had always heard this, but it has been interesting to experience this first hand. Since I am kind of obsessed with people and their weird behaviors, it has made for some funny stories... Last week, I was stepping off the elevator and a woman looks me in the eye, looks at the bump, and then brings her eyes back up to mine and says, "Whoa!" ... really? Did you just 'whoa' me? Have you never seen a pregnant woman? Pretty funny reaction.

One night recently, John and I called in an order for pizza to our neighborhood restaurant. They were running a little behind, so I had to wait in the lobby for a bit before they brought out our order. Every single person that came in to the restaurant after me checked out the bump and then quickly told me to, "go ahead" - "you were here first." LOL. I kept inching further away from the register, but everyone who came in was very concerned about getting in the way of the pregnant lady and her dinner... at one point the other lady who was waiting with me just starting cracking up.

At Lowes this weekend, I could see the next crazy comment coming from a mile away... crazy old man with train conductor overalls, tatooed sleeves, and a beard to his belly... staring at the bump... inching down the aisle... I kept trying to avoid eye contact. I didn't care what he had to say. I didn't want to hear it. He stopped right in front of me and said, "Best thing you'll ever do." He shook his head with a big smile, and wished me luck. He was so sincere, and I was so rude in avoiding his approach... I started crying right there on the spot. This is exactly what Pastor Nanette talked about at my Dad's funeral. He never knew a stranger - he made friends with anyone - he had his "bus buddies." It was as if it was him who had walked by.

I was overwhelmed with emotion.

People are good. Even though pregnancy brings out the WEIRDEST behavior in people - people are still good. And maybe they just want to wish me the best.. and instead they become uncomfortable and end up telling me that I look huge or ask me something really personal, like if I'll continue working... but, maybe they just want to talk to the pregnant girl, because it reminds them of an exciting and hopeful time in their own life. I imagine I will also cling to these memories and look back with joy.

2 comments:

  1. I cried reading about the guy in Lowe's. Oh geesh, Paige.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the Lowe's story...that is awesome!!!

    Just this morning, one of our front office gals started laughing when I walked in. I asked why, she said "nothing". I prodded and asked again and she told me that I'm just getting so huge! Yes, I am due one month from today...which puts me into month 9. Clearly I'm the size of the house, but I don't need every single person to point that out to me on a daily basis!

    The part that gets me is that it would be so inappropriate for us to say anything like this to the average Joe we see on the street. But for some reason, it's totally acceptable for them to say WHATEVER comes to mind because we're pregnant!

    I think you look gorgeous! And yes, it will all be worth it in a few short weeks....and it will definitely be the best thing that's ever happened to you!

    ReplyDelete