Thursday, April 4, 2013

A Discovery of Witches.

A Discovery of Witches by Deborah Harkness

Thanks to my friend at work for stumbling across this gem! I have to admit - I added the book to the book club list, it was voted in, and then I borrowed it - all without reading the description. I assumed, umm, that witches were involved. But, this book is so much more. This book takes you to Oxford, into the life of alchemy historian Diana Bishop - a witch who doesn't want to be a witch - who stumbles upon a book that is wrapped in a spell, and unintentionally breaks it. All of a sudden she is the most popular witch in the world... and being stalked by a hunky vampire, who has crossed paths with great historical figures and whose life has spanned centuries. She must not only find out why this book is so important, but also discover her own powerful magic.

Think The Da Vinci Code - with magic and steamy romance.

This is the first in the All Souls trilogy... and it's a monster of a long book. But, you know it is good when 600 pages just wasn't enough. I was sad when there were no more pages. Luckily, book two is published, and book three is hopefully out in the next year!



1 comment:

  1. I loved Discovery of Witches, too! Can't wait to talk about it at Book Club! I had trouble getting into the second one, though. Let me know what you think when you start it.

    ReplyDelete