Thursday, October 23, 2014

4 Months Old | Benjamin Craig

Our little june bug is 4 months old!
 
 
 
His fourth month was significant. In the last days of September, John's mother passed away and Benjamin lost his sweet Mimi. She fought so hard to meet him. She was a tough, courageous, lovely woman who I grew to love very much in the last couple years. Knowing that a baby was coming was fuel for her to keep fighting the cancer, and I am so sad that Ben will not know her as I do. I know she would have spoiled him rotten!
 
His smiley, flexible personality - paired with his good sleeping habits - made travel to North Carolina much easier than I expected. Benjamin rode not only on his first airplane, but four! Mama was full of anxiety, but he was cool as a cucumber. He slept in airports, I pumped in weird places, we warmed bottles in tea pots on planes... everyone seemed to just beam when they saw him. He even laughed for the first time on our last plane! 
 
I never imagined how friendly and accomodating people would be. In fact, one woman could have moved out of our row because there were extra seats, but she WANTED to sit by him! My mom traveled with us, and I will be grateful for the rest of my life. She endured her worst nightmare - talking casually to strangers - and the topic is death - and we politely chatted for hours and hours, because everyone in the whole church wanted to meet Ben. My mom must love us very much.
 
Many milestones this month too! Benjamin didn't put on the weight we wanted, so we have been putting a little rice cereal in his bottles to help thicken it up and keep it in his tummy - fingers crossed! Formula was an option too, in case he has allergies, but I wanted to stick to the breastmilk - I have worked so hard! We also started some meds.
 
Benjamin started rolling over in the last few days - back to front only! His favorite thing! Until he can't get back over... Our perfectly swaddled sleeping baby has had his world turned upside down... and his Mama is keeping him in his Rock n' Play next to her bed until he masters the front to back. No more crib until I feel safe!
 
He is taking six ounce bottles, making friends at daycare, and seems to be thriving developmentally. He can pull the pacifier out and just about get it back in. His neck is really strong, he loves to "stand up," and he coos along when anyone sings.
 
Benjamin also went to his first wedding this month and saw his first band - all in one night! We missed the ceremony because the cold bottle (oops) put him into a tissy. We sat in my brother-in-law's truck and I cried. It was my first real breakdown since Martha died. I am just trying to keep it together, and it is all very overwhelming. Being a scrappy Mama, I warmed his other bottles in hot apple cider... and he loved watching the band!
 
To top it off - he was in the kiddie parade at Mapleleaf Festival!
What a big month!

No comments:

Post a Comment