Wednesday, May 9, 2012

#gayisok

What a great day. I am happy to hear that President Obama has come to the conclusion that, for him, gay marriage is ok. I think it is significant, but my true hope is that it brings more people home tonight thinking about what gay marriage means to them. I hope they discuss it with friends and give it great thought... and I hope they too come to the conclusion that love is love.

I think this is a generational issue. I think I will be shaking my head when, down the road, my grandchild asks me "grandma, was that true? were people that crazy narrow minded? did they really think that someone else's love could hurt or hinder them? did people really go out and vote to ban gay marriage?" I will have to say yes. But, I think it will be an issue of the past. One we look back on in disbelief.

Honestly, this topic should be a snoozer.... zzzzzzzzzzzzz... why are we discussing someone else's interest in men or women? how does this affect me? do they want to know about what I do in the bedroom? AWKward.

But, as it turns out, many people feel very strongly about taking their crazy, Leviticus-based opinions to polling places and removing other people's rights. Next we're going to be passing legislation about shellfish. *LEAVE MY SHRIMP ALONE!

thanks, Obama. you weren't the first, and I hope you aren't the last.

No comments:

Post a Comment